[lbo-talk] On Getting Along

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Sun Apr 11 13:31:53 PDT 2004

I may be hallucinating, but I can imagine a Cooper-to-Carrol anti-war front, with Nathan and everybody else somewhere in between. I talk to Cooper myself (tho not recently).

A recent poll includes the following:

Yes to war going badly or very badly -- 64% Not worth going to war, 'all in all' -- 47% Withdraw all troops -- 28% Withdraw some troops -- 19% (this makes no sense but reflects a desire to get out)

http://www.gallup.com/content/default.aspx?ci=11260

Of the remaining 53% who want the same or more troops we have the guilt-ridden internationalists who think the US military is an instrument of democracy in the ME, that since 'we' are in we have to finish the job, etc. As they see the evolving disintegration of that project on the ground, they will fall off the wagon. Trying to impeach their idea of ethics will not be fruitful. They think their ethics are as good as yours, and who is anybody to say otherwise? Facts will be what count. Bodycounts. The failure to construct any indigenous, functioning civil infrastructure with the will to defend itself. Compared to Iraq, Vietnamization was a huge success.

So my suggested formula, perhaps obvious, is:

* wall-to-wall criticism of Bush and all his works; * attacks on Kerry for anything resembling efforts to

outflank Bush on the right re: Iraq

I think this works whether you plan to vote for Kerry or not.

If you do, it sends a signal about where some of his support is coming from.

If you don't, pretending you might if he moved the right way on Iraq may be better than saying F-you, you've lost my vote already, no matter what you do.

mbs