[lbo-talk] Mozart, plumber's helper

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Sun Apr 11 15:54:04 PDT 2004

> Whenever I think US advertising has reached the zenith in tackiness, it
> soars anew to unsuspected heights of vulgarity. I just saw a TV ad that
> truly stunned me. It was for some product to unstop toilets, and it used
> Mozart's Requiem -- one of the most transcendent compositions of all
time --
> as its background music. Beyond vile.
>
> Carl

Creative vulgarity, I call it. There's a tremendous amount of talent in the ad world, smart people too, so it doesn't surprise me that Mozart's Requiem was used for a toilet spot. To me, it's more a cry for help -- "I'm trapped using my talents to promote endless consumerism, but I'm really a cultured person!" The old Nike ad that used Lennon's "Instant Karma" was vile as well, but it was a beautifully realized short film.

In shit one finds jewels.

DP