[lbo-talk] War about oil?

John Thornton jthorn65 at mchsi.com
Sun Apr 11 17:10:49 PDT 2004

>The U.S. could, at any time, cut off anyone's oil supplies. Or destroy any
>country completely. So what's so special about controlling oil?
>
>Doug

Invading Iraq and controlling their oil is far different from attacking or blockading China. Is it really in the realm of probable ideas to envision the US military attacking China in the near future? The capability to do so isn't everything. Attacking China would have far greater repercussions than attacking Iraq and invading Iraq hasn't exactly been a cake walk so far. It seems easier to control the flow of oil than to try to blockade other countries access to it. We think of ourselves as the good guys. Attacking "evil doers" and getting control of oil fits that idea. Attacking China (or whoever) or blockading France doesn't fit that idea as neatly.

John Thornton