[lbo-talk] Would Gore have invaded Iraq?

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Sun Apr 11 21:58:44 PDT 2004

john thorton wrote I think the idea that Gore would have invaded is pretty hard to substantiate. He had no burning desire to do so and I don't see anyone capable of pressuring him to do so being in a position to do so.

-- I should hope so, he never had the chance! i'm talking about a Gore faced with massive media/repub/right-moderate dem. pressure in the aftermath of 911. in that situation it is very possible that a Gore might have decided the calls and pressure were too great. it's possible he wouldn't have, surely, i don't deny that. but the assumption that he wouldn't because he wasn't 'obsessed' with Iraq is a weak one i believe. that could have easily changed under new circumstances, especially given Gore and Clinton's well known propensity to hype and/or outright lie about the nature of saddam's 'threat' to America/the people of the world. ================================== Perhaps believing Gore would have done the same makes people who feel there is no substantial difference between Gore and Bush feel better.

--nope, one could go out tomorrow and vote for Kerry against Bush and still make the argument i've made here. =================================

steve