[lbo-talk] Would Gore have invaded Iraq?

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Apr 12 07:34:08 PDT 2004

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004, Doug Henwood wrote:

> What's it mean that the war was "about" oil?

It means that oil has strategic value. That means *by definition* it's something that gives you leverage if you control it. That's what strategic means.

It isn't true. But everyone in the security establishment believes it -- that oil and the middle east are strategic. And so therefore does everyone in the world who looks to them to define such matters. And critics, seeking to use their own words against them, have absorbed their wrong premises. The whole world is in the grip of zombie categories from the cold war that are dead but still walking.

I wrote a couple of long posts on this a year ago if anyone is interested. Although Kelley's reference makes me think I might have been too playful.

Linkname: Why Oil Is Not A Strategic Good

Linkname: Foonote: On reforming the UN

I'm thinking someday I might expand and develop them into an article.

Michael