[lbo-talk] Re: Bush invaded Iraq because..

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Mon Apr 12 09:20:12 PDT 2004

Doug Henwood wrote:

> It might, if someone could explain to me what "control" means. There
> are scads of energy-producing regions in the world - Texas, Iran,
> Russia, Norway, Mexico.... They sell oil and its substitutes into
> world markets, where the country of origin label becomes illegible. I
> wish someone would explain how that complex structure could be
> controlled.

One justification (or rationalisation) for development of Indian Navy is that:

"The Indian Navy's blue water aspirations have received a boost as it now has the capacity to put a carrier task force as far as the South China Sea and the Persian Gulf. Naval strategists point out that India sits astride two "choke points" for global oil supplies - the strait of Hormuz on its west and the Strait of Malacca in the east. The Indian Navy may be called upon increasingly play a policing role as the volume of traffic in the Indian Ocean region is set to rise dramatically. The three East Asian dynamos, China, Japan and South Korea, will be importing more oil and gas from West Asia as their economies continue to grow."

"India's naval ambitions are encouraged not only by Moscow, but also by Washington, at this juncture. The American Secretary of State, Colin Powell, at his confirmation hearing in 2001, said that it was important for the United States to support India's role in maintaining peace and stability in the Indian Ocean and its vast periphery." http://www.flonnet.com/fl2103/stories/20040213003603500.htm

Ulhas