[lbo-talk] more Bush at work

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Mon Apr 12 11:04:47 PDT 2004

On Monday, April 12, 2004, at 01:05 PM, Doug Henwood quoted:

> President George Bush has spent more than 40% of his presidency at one
> of his three retreats, sparking criticism from Democrats that he is
> not taking his job seriously at a crucial time in US history.

This raises a question in my mind, in connection with Carl's post on telecommuting: to what extent is it necessary for a President to be sitting in the Oval Office to be working these days? Might we look forward to a day (or is it already here) that the Prexy can work anywhere, with all the teleconferencing and internet-conferencing whizz-bang stuff available?

(Of course, with Bush, there's the question of whether he's doing *any* work *anywhere,* or whether it's No 2, in his undisclosed location, who is pulling all the strings.)

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ After the Buddha died, people still kept pointing to his shadow in a cave for centuries—an enormous, dreadful shadow. God is dead: but the way people are, there may be, for millennia, caves in which his shadow is still pointed to. — And we — we must still overcome his shadow! —Friedrich Nietzsche