Green content: was; Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Paul Felton

Maria Gilmore mgilmore at highstream.net
Mon Apr 12 11:54:18 PDT 2004

I wrote:

> >This is a repost of a post ... from GP member and would-be
> >Presidential candidate Lorna Salzman. <snip> But if you're
> >looking for a green Green, I think Salzman's one:

And Doug replied:

>I found her hostile and unpleasant. I don't think those are good
characteristics >in political candidates.

I agree, so much so in fact that *I didn't say* she was a good candidate, or person, or right or wrong, but only meant to present her as "a green Green", which in my experience is an endangered species in the Party...a Party member whose main focus is the overriding importance of the planet's ecology over all else. I can understand such an emphasis, myself. If we alter this world enough so that our species (and most others, sadly) can't live on it anymore, all discussions regarding what type of society we should construct will be moot.

In relation to Salzman's personality, it does seem to me that when you're dealing with people who are coming out of hardcore deep ecology theory you're often going to be dealing with at least some misanthropy. After all, this mess is just all our fuckin' fault. It's in the deafening silence that occurs when it's pointed out that the abandonment of all human endeavor since before agriculture will result in the die-off of the vast majority of those humans now alive.

Jeez, I need to go do something to cheer myself up after this.

Maria