[lbo-talk] War about oil?

Shane Taylor s-t-t at juno.com
Mon Apr 12 12:31:31 PDT 2004

Doug Henwood wrote:
> Who are the "we" that would refuse to sell France
> "cheap" oil? Oil is traded on international commodity
> markets, populated by suppliers small and large,
> including some French ones. It's the classic fungible
> good. How could "we" selectively gouge the French and
> not the Brits?

There seems to be a problem of price discrimination here. Even assuming that a puppet government and privatized oil industry gives the US great influence over prices. In order to gouge some but not others, they'd have to be able to both segment the market and prevent the resale of cheap oil.

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the Internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!