[lbo-talk] War about oil?

Shane Taylor s-t-t at juno.com
Mon Apr 12 13:05:59 PDT 2004

kelley wrote:
> Since I'm the one who asked about privatization, can
> I assume that your implicit answer (and Doug's) to
> my question is, "Yes, it looks like the neocons want
> to see Iraqi oil (and the rest of the region's oil) privatized."?

??? I did not think that was being disputed. The initial post I responded to, the PNAC quotes, didn't offer, to my eyes, any clarity as to how this is a war about oil. Bremer apparently had plans for that initially, but has since had to retreat. It fits with their general prescriptions for privatization, but doesn't answer Doug's questions. My response is specifically focused on how you swing a war for oil. Okay, they want to privatize it. And? Then what? Most of the responses Doug has been getting here are very question begging. Doug asks how oil plays in all this. Folks point out that Iraq's oil is simply too important not to be a factor. Plausible enough, but the question is left unanswered.

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the Internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!