[lbo-talk] War about oil?

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 12 13:32:21 PDT 2004

I haven't look into this for over a decade, and wouldn't necesasryily endorse this in treospect, but at the time of the last Gulf war I argued that one way to understand the US interest in Gulf oil was less that it would give the US control over oil prices -- oil pretty much goes at the market rate, and ups and downs of OPEC show that it's hard to coordinate that sort of control -- than it would give the US leverage over Europe and Japan. The idea was that they need Gulf oil a lot more than we do, and we could exert pressure on them for various political ends if we were in a position to influence the terms on which they geo their owl. The worry about the Iraqui invasion of Kuwait, in that perspective, was that you'd have someone who was hostile the US and fairly independent, plus close to a number of European countries, exerting what the US considered to disproportionate influence.

I guess the problem with this theory as a rationale for war today under the PCNAC approach is that the US doesn't seem to care about trying to influence Europe or Japan, it just gives orders and gets snotty if they are ignored.

I actually rather doubt that the current invasion is "about" oil, in the sense of trying to grab Iraqi oil and make profits from selling it, although I think Iraq's status as a oil producer is relevant. I rather suspect, however, that the invasion was motivated more by strategic and geopolitical than directly economic reasons. The US wanted to first of all, flex its muscles and smash a disobedient third world country in a way that set an example to those who would dare oppose us; Iraq was natural after all that demonization and a decade of sanctions. Secondly, the US wanted to establish a permanent presence of bases in an unstable and vital reason -- not only all that oil, but also the centrality of the region to Europe, Africa, Asia, and so forth, as an access point.

jks