[lbo-talk] Walmart/War about oil?

kelley at pulpculture.org kelley at pulpculture.org
Mon Apr 12 16:29:43 PDT 2004

At 07:09 PM 4/12/2004, Doug Henwood wrote:
>kelley at pulpculture.org wrote:
>
>>Anywho, my question is: Is the nature of market discipline different if
>>there's also an internal market of competing oil interests within a
>>nation-state and those oil interests compete with all other oil interests
>>on the market? Or is it simply enough that a nation's oil is subject to
>>the discipline of the world market?
>
>My sense is that it doesn't matter for world prices whether it's state
>companies selling into it or private ones;

so, why did clinton want to put pressure on the world to privatize?

I haven't been talking about the personal gain of capitalists through world oil prices. I'm talking about trying to understanding why _the neocons_ are acting rationally on their own worldview.

you may think it's is idiotic, but you probably also think it's idiotic for Walmart to treat employees as they do or Nike to spend ridiculous amounts of money on marketing. But they, in fact, do these things that appear irrational. And, just because they seem irrational from a rational choice calculus, it does not follow that they ARE irrational.

Again, sorry for the overpost, but I don't know how many times _I_ have to repeat myself: I haven't once yet reduced this to some simplistic "it's about lining the pockets of the bushevik" argument.

Kelley