[lbo-talk] Walmart/War about oil?

Ted Winslow egwinslow at rogers.com
Mon Apr 12 17:13:47 PDT 2004

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On the other hand, as Corey Robin put it in his Boston Review piece
> and his interview with me, there's an element of the Romantic about
> the neocons - questing boldly, and scornful of what Keynes called the
> Benthamite contraption.

Actually they're not scornful of "the Benthamite contraption," are they? Aren't at least some of them enthusiasts for "game theory" - the Revolution in Military Affairs? Perhaps both this irrational "iron cage" conception of rationality and the romanticism have the same unconscious source, a source suggested by the connection of each to violent aggression against demonized enemies. As Keynes points out, this hypothesis is also consistent with the "greed."

Ted