[lbo-talk] Re: Bush invaded Iraq because...

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 13 00:54:58 PDT 2004

Hi Michael,

You write:

Control only makes sense in time of war. Then it does make sense. Or it did -- back when we had enemies that could conceivably threaten us. We're still acting like we do. -- This isn't strictly true. Any country with a nuke and an adequate delivery system can threaten the United States. That's not many countries, but it is some. Indeed, the US and Russia still maintain a policy of MAD with respect to one another. Alexander Haig said in an interview in the Russia Journal a couple of years ago that the Bushie ABM plan was aimed at Moscow. On paper actually the Russian army is about the size of the American -- it's just woefully underfunded.

Now, no country could actually attack the US (or Russia) and survive, but that was the case during the Cold War.