[lbo-talk] Re: A Calculated Provocation

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 13 06:03:35 PDT 2004

Jon Johanning wrote:

>I'm 100% in favor of the
> U.S. cutting off all aid to Israel tomorrow, but how
do you answer
> people who respond to that sort of proposal with two
words: "suicide
> bombers"?
>
> This tactic is just not helping the people who would
like to be allies
> of the Palestinians put as much pressure as they
could on the Israelis
> to stop their atrocities.

What do you suggest the Palestinians do?

I don't think there are a large number of US left supporters URGING suicide bombing so much as saying it's unfortunate, but it's not too hard to understand why it's being done.

On a recent NPR show, someone called in and asked a Palestinian representative [sitting in as a guest],
:"Why aren't the Palestinians conducting a massive
campaign of Gandhi-ian nonviolence and civil disobedience?": The caller's idea was that the Palestinians should simply sit in the streets and passively refuse to move as the IDF attempts to displace them. :"Let the world be a witness,": was the advice.

Well, the IDF is bulldozing their homes, which are, if anything, structures fixed to the ground, incapable of moving. The world witnesses this, alright, and yet still nothing happens. What options do normal Palestinians have? How would "leaving their anger in the past," as you suggest, stop them from being oppressed?