[lbo-talk] Negotiations

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Apr 13 08:05:32 PDT 2004

Michael Pollak wrote:

> Needless to say, the chances of such an outcome are absurdly slim. But
> this first tiny step is in the right direction -- and fwiw, it goes
> directly contrary to everything we said as recently as last week.

I'm disturbed by your use of "we" in this post. What any "we" to which I belong might have said last week was that we see the best-case scenario in Iraq as being (a) the utter humiliation of the u.s. in Iraq and (b) the unconditional withdrawal of U.S. troops. The worst-case scenario would be the victory of a counterguerrilla war. And nothing less than the humiliation of the U.S. by the Iraqi people could "set off dominos of democracy in the region."

Carrol