[lbo-talk] About that Emma Goldman special on PBS last night...

Kenneth MacKendrick kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Tue Apr 13 08:14:18 PDT 2004

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Chuck0

"The principal authoritative voice in the film was Alice Wexler, who wrote a substantial two-volume bio of Emma..

Has anyone read Wexler's biography? I've only read an essay by her in Roussopoulos (ed.) Anarchist Papers (2001), a collected anthology of writings from the journal Our Generation (the UofManitoba, thanks to someone, has the entire series!). As I recall the article had a kind of psychoanalytic angle to it... a biography of the interior more than anything else. Perhaps we shouldn't be too hard on this, since it is this very interior that lead Goldman to anarchism and the kind of criticisms she formulated. Also curious, the film didn't mention the word "propaganda." Goldman was all about the propaganda. The word means something different today, but she used it with intensity.

ken