[lbo-talk] Why Democrats Can't Blame Bush for 9/11

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Apr 13 08:53:36 PDT 2004

Dennis:
> Realize that many Americans cannot -- will not -- find blame in their
Holy
> State no matter what. 'Cause if the Holy State is flawed at that deep
of a
> level (and not just at levels where people feel safe to bitch), then
they'd
> have to do something. And they ain't gonna do nothin.' I've had these
> conversations with the common folk for years, and fear & the desire
Not To
> Know runs deep.

That is probably one of the most "on the target" opinions I've seen on this list for some time (save Doug's rebuttals of various popular tropes).

Living on the both sides of the "iron curtain" allowed me to observe that US citizens have about as much influence over policies of the state as citizens of the x-Soviet bloc did - close to none, but masqueraded by political rituals giving an illusion of influence. The biggest difference between EE and US, citizens, however, is that the former were fully cognizant of their powerlessness and learned how to live with that, whereas the latter go extraordinary length to maintain their illusion. Similar observations were made by many Europeans I know, who are familiar with the US scene.

America is not just a state, it is a religion.

Wojtek