[lbo-talk] Why Democrats Can't Blame Bush for 9/11

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Tue Apr 13 13:15:21 PDT 2004

> According to Michael Moore's Bowling for Columbine, you
> [Canadians] actually have pretty much as much guns as your
> neighbor (relative to population). You just don't live in
> fear of the "other".

A large portion of gun crime in the US is committed in the process of committing other "crimes" (I put that in scarequotes because quite a bit of it is "drug crimes"). It's got much less to do with "fear" than it has to do with an under-ground under-law economy that doesn't exist in many other countries.

Further, the vast majority of "violent crime" is not committed with a firearm; it has hovered below 10% for quite some time:

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/percentfirearm.htm

The vast majority of US gun owners are just like their neighbors to the north.

/jordan