[lbo-talk] RE: About that Emma Goldman special on PBS last night

John K. Taber jktaber at tacni.net
Tue Apr 13 17:40:25 PDT 2004

Jon Johanning <jjohanning at igc.org> wrote:

> BTW, for a really disgusting performance, look up the review in
> yesterday's NY Times, which compared Goldman with ... wait for it ...
> Oprah!

I caught it, and thought it was pretty good, but I'm no expert.

Here's the pointer:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/12/arts/television/12HEFF.html

The review is so awful that it pushed me to watch it. I can't figure out why my right wing friends think the NY Times is "lib'rul." The Arts section seems to me particularly prejudiced. When it sneers at a production I use it as a cue to see it.

It seems to me the purpose of these sneering reviews is to dissuade people like me, who don't know much about the subject but might be interested, not to read the book or watch the show. The NY Times reviewers piss me off. I hope they don't get paid much.

John