[lbo-talk] Re: A Calculated Provocation

Simon Huxtable jetfromgladiators at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 14 05:18:14 PDT 2004

> Jon said:
>
> >Sure, the Palestinians were the victims in that
> respect. Sure, the Israeli
> >government is being terribly brutal against them
> now, with all the material
> >power at its disposal. On the other hand, I have
> never understood why the
> >suicide bombing tactic was such a brilliant idea.

Doesn't the speed of building settlements increase under a ceasefire? Barak talked of peace, but settlements continued to be built. Strategically, this would seem to be simply a tactic to stop the stealing of land. One can argue whether or not it makes things worse in the long run, but I don't think suicide bombing is a strategic decision, rather - on a human level - a display of impotent rage.

However, I take Jon's point that there can be no hope for peace whilst there are suicide bombings. More importantly, however, there is no hope for peace if Israel continues with building settlements and targeted assassinations. Moreover, it is fundamentally false to expect the Palestinians to make the first step (which, I know, is not what was being implied and I know you know that's not what I was implying!).

Simon

____________________________________________________________ Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today! Download Messenger Now http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/download/index.html