[lbo-talk] Worker Communist Party of Iraq, April 4, 2004

Grant Lee grantlee at iinet.net.au
Thu Apr 15 00:42:45 PDT 2004

Yoshie said:

> None of the governments that have refused to participate in the
> invasion and occupation of Iraq so far will send its own troops to
> occupy and pacify Iraq without US troops performing the majority of
> combat duties.

Presuming that the present degree of "combat" is inevitable, yes. It appears that it is the very _presence_ of US troops (not to mention their conduct of the occupation) which is provoking much of the "combat". I suspect Iraq would be a totally different proposition if US forces were replaced by equivalent numbers from non-invading countries. Of course, few governments will want to suck it and see what the flavour is. And if such a handover were to occur, profiteering by US companies would also be threatened. Which is another reason why it's such a hard pill for the Bush admin to swallow.

Grant.