[lbo-talk] Worker Communist Party of Iraq, April 4, 2004

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Apr 15 01:34:26 PDT 2004

Grant Lee grantlee at iinet.net.au, Thu Apr 15 00:42:45 PDT 2004:
>>None of the governments that have refused to participate in the
>>invasion and occupation of Iraq so far will send its own troops to
>>occupy and pacify Iraq without US troops performing the majority of
>>combat duties.
>
>Presuming that the present degree of "combat" is inevitable, yes. It
>appears that it is the very _presence_ of US troops (not to mention
>their conduct of the occupation) which is provoking much of the
>"combat". I suspect Iraq would be a totally different proposition if
>US forces were replaced by equivalent numbers from non-invading
>countries. Of course, few governments will want to suck it and see
>what the flavour is.

If there is no likelihood of combat, foreign soldiers are not necessary in Iraq. After all, the job of soldiers is to combat. If there is any likelihood of combat at all, foreign soldiers unprepared to fight are useless:

* " The [Japanese] government's strategy is to place Japanese troops inside their barracks cocoon - but the term "barracks" hardly begins to describe the heavily fortified and guarded walls of their isolated luxury compound. Many of its soldiers will not be allowed to venture beyond the perimeter of the base. . . .The primary task of the contingent of Japanese soldiers already deployed in Iraq, augmenting advance troops, is to construct the super-fort that will house up to 550 men. The ultra-modern base is being built on a muddy site about 10 kilometers outside Samawah. The isolated location was chosen in order to make the camp less vulnerable to attacks by suicide bombers and other insurgents" (Sean Curtin, "Japan's 'Fortress of Solitude' in Iraq - plus Karaoke," February 19, 2004, <http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Japan/FB19Dh05.html>).

* "Some 600 Korean troops stationed in Nisiriyah, mostly engineers and medical personnel, have been also instructed to stay within their barracks" ("Coping with Iraq Mess," April 9, 2004, <http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/SITE/data/html_dir/2004/04/09/200404090013.asp>).

* "Last Wednesday, Ukrainian troops abandoned the strategic town of Kut, evacuating about 20 American, British, Polish and other civilian officials of the U.S.-led occupation authority after mortar and infantry attacks by al-Sadr's militia, the al-Mahdi Army. . . . Elsewhere, the Spanish military watched as al-Sadr's gunmen seized control of the holy Shiite city of Najaf" (AP, "Shiite Uprising Places Coalition Partners on Front Lines," April 14, 2004, <http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes/shiiteuprising14.htm>).

Foreign soldiers who are instructed to behave like the Japanese, Korean, Ukrainian, and Spanish troops described above will not be of any assistance to Iraqis who fear those who have participated in the uprising.

>And if such a handover were to occur

Will never happen. -- Yoshie

* Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>