[lbo-talk] Little Green Fascists?

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Thu Apr 15 08:07:23 PDT 2004

Catch this story from Tech Central Station, a rightwing site, about a recent blast by the rightwing at various blogs who dared to point out that the deaths of mercenaries last week should not be considered more tragic than the death of regular soldiers or Iraqi civilians: http://www.techcentralstation.com/041304F.html

I was somewhat in the storm-- and had some Democratic party ads yanked as part of it, so it's a fun little story, with the Little Green Football fascists part of the leading charge against the unpatriot blogs.

Nathan

----- Original Message ----- From: <snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 12:36 PM Subject: [lbo-talk] Little Green Fascists?

Why is it names Little Green Footballs anyway?

<paste>

http://www.drmenlo.com/lgfquiz/

I was inspired to build this quiz when I noticed that comments on Littlegreenfootballs.com (a popular warblog) tended to be indistinguishable in tone and content from the writings of Adolf Hitler, Heinrich Himmler, and the other architects of the "final solution."

Always indistinguishable? Well, maybe not - but close enough and often enough to be pretty disturbing. Yes, the quotes I've used here are all "cherry-picked" - from LGF and the Nazis both - but since the webmaster patrols LGF pretty thoroughly it's fair to say that his site is as defined by what he allows (e.g., calls to "sterilize" the "subhuman" Palestinians) as it is by what he doesn't (e.g., criticisms of Israel or George W).

If you need a reference point to understand what I'm trying to accomplish with this, think of the "Al Gore? Or the Unabomber?" quiz that floated around the WWW a couple of years back.

</paste>