[lbo-talk] Stratfor on President Kerry's Iraq imperial strategy

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Thu Apr 15 22:32:02 PDT 2004

At 3:19 AM +0000 16/4/04, Carl Remick wrote:

>>We are convinced that the Bush administration has a defensible
>>strategy. It is not a simple one and not one that can be made
>>completely public, but it is a defensible strategy. ...
>>We doubt strongly that
>>building democracy in Iraq is the cry that will rally the
>>American nation.
>
>What on earth is this all about -- is Stratfor calling for some kind
>of counter-jihad? Have they completely lost their minds? It's hard
>to tell anything because this "analysis" is so coy. This is the
>first piece by Stratfor I've read in some time. It will be the last.

He's simply suggesting that Bush should stop spinning the line about bringing democracy to Iraq. It doesn't make much sense, he advises. He suggests Bush come up with a more convincing lie, or even tell the truth.

Between the lines: "Bringing democracy to Iraq was never the objective, but it might have been compatible with the real objective. Now it is apparent even to the man in the street that a democratic Iraq would be directly in conflict with the actual objective (they hate us) contrary to American strategic interests (a democratic Iraq wouldn't toe the American line). So keeping up this line risks undermining domestic political support for the war."

Perhaps he's a bit worried that Bush might even be dumb enough to believe his own propaganda and capable of bowing to pressure and actually allowing democracy to happen in Iraq? It sounds far-fetched, but you can understand the nervousness, Bush is VERY stupid.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas