[lbo-talk] RE: The Nation Food Fight Party w/ Aaron McGruder

Gary Mongiovi MONGIOVG at stjohns.edu
Fri Apr 16 12:51:20 PDT 2004

Amusing story. Friends of mine rave about McGruder, but he doesn't ring my chimes. When he's on target, he can be terrific. But more often than not he's shallow and trite (even by the standards of contemporary newspaper comic strips). His series about Condi needing to get laid is a case in point: he really did this mildly funny trope to death.

I admire his feisty point of view, but as Trudeau says in the New Yorker Profile, to be effective you have to take your foot off the reader's windpipe once in a while. I hope McGruder's work will mature, but (again from the profile) his belief that he ought to have got a Pulitzer by now does not bode well: he's got a long way to go before he's in the same league as Trudeau & Breathed (the two other daily strip cartoonists to have got Pulitzers).

Gary