[lbo-talk] The President of Non-sequitur

Jacob Segal jpsegal at rcn.com
Fri Apr 16 06:11:26 PDT 2004

>From yesterday's press conference with Sharon

Q: (Egyptian President) Hosni Mubarak is saying the new U.S. policy on the West Bank could escalate violence. How do you respond to his concerns?

BUSH: Yes, I think this is a fantastic opportunity. You know, the fact that (Israeli Prime Minister) Ariel Sharon said, We're going to withdraw from territory, is a historic moment. And it creates a chance for the world to come together to help develop a Palestinian state based upon a solid foundation, a foundation where the institutions are bigger than the people, just like our respective governments are founded.

It's a chance to provide a framework for international aid that will help a Palestinian economy grow. It's a chance for people to come together to work on measures that will enable people to live in peace, security measures.

This is a historic moment. And I think people need to view it as such and seize the moment and help a Palestinian state become a reality, a Palestinian state that can live in peace with its neighbors.

And, you know, there's a lot of talk about the final status discussions and that's all in good. The problem is that people, by doing so, don't pay attention to the moment. And it's a moment we've got to seize.

The final status discussions will become a lot plainer - and by the way, we're not going to prejudge the final status discussions. But the answer's become a lot plainer once there's a peaceful state that's committed to fighting off terror and a state that's capable of providing hope for its people.

I think it's possible. And the prime minister and I have spent a lot of time in this subject, and I'm not going to put words in his mouth, but he thinks it's possible. And we look forward to working together to make it possible.

But it's going to require a commitment by the Palestinian people to find leadership that is committed to peace and hope. And it's going to require a commitment by people in the neighborhood to support the emergence of a state.

This is a historic moment. I appreciate the prime minister of Israel coming here to announce it. We intend to seize the moment and to take advantage of an opportunity.