[lbo-talk] Kerry Heckled for Opposing Withdrawal of US Troops

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Apr 16 18:17:22 PDT 2004

>>From: Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu>
>>I think there is plenty room between indefinite occupation as
>>bunker head hardliners want, and immediate pullout as
>>pie-in-the-sky peaceniks suggest. An orderly transfer of power to
>>a legitimate Iraqi authority (rather than a US puppet), perhaps
>>under the auspices of an international body (UN? Arab League?)
>>would be a preferred option in my book.
>
>Hmm, why isn't your option just as sky-high-pie in terms of reality,
>Wojtek? Where is this "legitimate" Iraqi authority supposed to come
>from? How is this "orderly" transfer of power supposed to take
>place? And I can never understand what incentive there is for a
>multilateral force to volunteer to replace the US and get *its* ass
>shot off instead. I think you need to check your realpolitik meter.
>
>Carl

The occupation will come to an end, sooner or later. The only question is when and how.

"In Vietnam the United States also made token transfers of power to puppet governments of its own choosing. The heaviest American fighting in Vietnam, and the heaviest casualties, occurred after this meaningless transition. They increased again after the so-called free elections of 1966." -- Peter Dale Scott, "Bush, Kerry Wrong on U.N.'s Future Role in Iraq," Pacific News Service, April 15, 2004, <http://news.pacificnews.org/news/view_article.html?article_id=1e85f4720b3fb7dd3de4bb8cf4d49615> -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>