[lbo-talk] Re: Bush rips up road map

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Sat Apr 17 11:41:04 PDT 2004

On Friday, April 16, 2004, at 11:24 PM, Eric Beck wrote:

> Besides, the two-state solution has been dead for some time.
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/comment/0,10551,1051598,00.html
> http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20031103&s=lazare

I read these articles with great interest. I confess that I don't know much about the one-state approach; is it really a live option at this point? Are there prominent Israelis and Palestinians backing it, and could the US gov't (which is the 800 lb. gorilla here) be persuaded to accept it?

Obviously, as Khalidi suggests in the former of these articles, if South Africa is a precedent, the Israelis and Arabs would have to be ready to reconcile if the one-state solution were to work. But it seems that one of the most formidable obstacles to the one-state solution is that this reconciliation will be damned hard to do, eh?

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ When I was a little boy, I had but a little wit, 'Tis a long time ago, and I have no more yet; Nor ever ever shall, until that I die, For the longer I live the more fool am I. -- Wit and Mirth, an Antidote against Melancholy (1684)