[lbo-talk] Aspect of India's Econ Report:TheRealStateofIndia'sEconomy

Dennis Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Sat Apr 17 18:27:32 PDT 2004

> Instead of combining some national distinctions, why not just destroy
> them all? You want East Asia to be more like the EU

Nothing of the sort. I would like East Asia to be its own charmingly autonomous geopolitical self.

> , but are Asian workers really pleading for restrictive deficit targets
> and anti-inflation vigilantism?

The ECB's rates are 2% -- pretty close to inflation. Liquidity growth in the EU has been snappy, close to 7-8% per annum. And the EU governments have been running hefty deficits. That doesn't look like hypermonetarism to me.

> By positing Asia and Europe as
> counterweights to the US, aren't you revealing that your objections
> to American capitalism are purely aesthetic?

What's aesthetic about the 2.5 trillion EUR the US owes to the new metropoles, or the 35% the euro has appreciated vis-a-vis the dollar?

-- DRR