[lbo-talk] U.S. turning to Iran, Syria to defuse crisis

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Sun Apr 18 08:02:04 PDT 2004

On Sunday, April 18, 2004, at 09:45 AM, uvj at vsnl.com quoted The Hindu as reporting thusly:

> Encountering stiff resistance in Fallujah and obstacles in
> mounting an offensive in the Shia stronghold of Najaf, the U.S. is
> turning
> to arch-foe Iran and Syria to defuse the crisis.
>
> Poland, a key American ally, has opposed any U.S. move to undertake a
> military offensive in Najaf. The top commander of a Polish unit said
> his
> forces had been deployed to stabilise the situation in Iraq and not to
> participate in actions that could escalate tensions and lead to more
> bloodshed.

There you go. The "coalition of the willing" is turning more unwilling by the hour. "The new Europe," which according to that eminent geopolitical theorist Rummy, was supposed to be much better friends of the U.S. than the old Europeans, is practicing civil disobedience like a pro. (It's much easier against their new masters than it was against the Soviets.) Iran and Syria, once considered by said Rummy and his associates to be among the evilest dudes on the planet, are now, no doubt with a sardonic smile, watching the Great Satan, groveling at their feet, pleading for a way out of this disaster.

And the fearless leader of it all, tirelessly proclaiming that "all is well, and all manner of thing is well, though we are having a bit of a tough time" is none other than our beloved Shrub, who can't think of a mistake he's made since he made himself at home in the White House.

> In a televised address on Tuesday, Mr.
> Bush said Iraq's neighbours "have responsibilities to make their
> region more
> stable."

After we've thoroughly destabilized it, as Shrub did not say.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ When I was a little boy, I had but a little wit, 'Tis a long time ago, and I have no more yet; Nor ever ever shall, until that I die, For the longer I live the more fool am I. -- Wit and Mirth, an Antidote against Melancholy (1684)