[lbo-talk] A Calculated Provocation

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Apr 19 15:02:05 PDT 2004

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Chuck0 wrote:
>
>> Lastly, the problem with the Days of Rage approach was that it was
>> organized by leftist students who saw themselves as the vanguard of
>> some imminent revolution. A Days of Rage approach that was organized
>> on a more open, democratic basis would pose a serious threat to
>> American Empire.
>

> But aren't you advocating some sort of vanguardist strategy? Most
> Americans are patriotic Christians, so there has to be some limit to
> your idea of democratic organizing here - some self-selected group of
> anarcho-radicals who can't possibly claim to speak for any serious
> majority.

Anarchists are against vanguardism. I'm not asking people to follow me or my friends, rather I've been arguing that people need to organize themselves.

Most Americans are patriotic Christians? Really? Then why do so many of them oppose the war? What happened to all of that patriotic crap that popped up after 9/11? Was it just a mass outpouring of solidarity for the victim of the attacks or was it about patriotism? The evidence suggests the former while leftists automatically assumed the latter.

I understand that those of us with different ideas are up against a lot here in America. It will take much education and agitation to change minds. But what option are you going to take? The elitist liberal one that tells us that we can't change minds because our opponents are ignorant or misguided? Or are we going to roll up our sleeves and try to change as many minds as possible?

Chuck0