[lbo-talk] Sadr calls for UN force

JW Mason j.w.mason at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 19 19:19:51 PDT 2004

>>Doug, what on earth has Carrol done to deserve this relentless baiting?

>At 5:56 PM -0500 9/3/03, Carrol Cox wrote:

So?

Carrol quotes Rudyard Kipling. And he believes that there is no meaningful difference between a "U.N." and a U.S. occupation of Iraq -- an opinion I share, for whatever that's worth, even if Moqtada al-Sadr doesn't.

Bu that's not what I'm responding to. It's stuff like this:

>>theories. "Most of the craziest questions come from white American
>>college students," he laughs. "There's nothing that says since we're
>>leftists, we have to be insane."
>
>Cue to Carrol Cox to tell us this isn't true.

and this:

>You're so funny, Carrol. I'm going to read you as a performance
>artist from now on, a parody of an armchair curmudgeon. You should
>have a cable access show.

and this:

>You don't understand: generalizations are bad unless they're made by
>Cde Cox, in which case they have the force of law.

and this:

>Is it a reading comprehension problem? The sectarian urge to
>misrepresent? A severe case of mental rigidity? Or just stubborn
>perversity (in the bad sense of perversity)? No leftist I know
>expects very much at all from a Dem administration, and almost
>everyone would acknowledge almost every criticism you make. It's a
>very rational decision, not frightened or lemminglike behavior. The
>uncomprehending intensity of your reaction suggests psychological
>problems.

and this:

>And you - you're funnier than Henny Youngman.

In all five I've quoted your text in full, by the way.

No one else on the list generates this kind of hostility. I don't get it.

Josh