[lbo-talk] Sadr calls for UN force

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Apr 19 22:15:48 PDT 2004

JW Mason j.w.mason at earthlink.net, Mon Apr 19 19:19:51 PDT 2004:

>Carrol quotes Rudyard Kipling. And he believes that there is no
>meaningful difference between a "U.N." and a U.S. occupation of Iraq
>-- an opinion I share, for whatever that's worth, even if Moqtada
>al-Sadr doesn't.

Since my last post, I've thought more about Al-Sadr's new demand for a UN peacekeeping force minus the current occupiers, a reversal of his earlier opposition to UN peacekeepers. Then, I've come to a conclusion that Al-Sadr must have issued the demand (or rather the challenge), knowing full well that it will be rejected by Washington. If so, it is probably a very clever move, which may prove effective, given his power and prominence that command the world's attention (unlike the marginalized Worker Communist Party which has issued a nearly identical demand to a deafening silence of the world). I just posted a new entry "Muqtada Al-Sadr and the United Nations" at <http://montages.blogspot.com/>. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>