[lbo-talk] Aspect of India'sEconReport:TheRealStateofIndia'sEconomy

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Apr 20 07:02:19 PDT 2004

Grant Lee wrote:

> there is nothing to be gained by
> "leftists" (which I presume we all are on this list, a few trolls and
> eavesdroppers notwithstanding) applauding the decline of one capitalist
> power, when its decline is _purely_relative_ to the ascendancy of other
> capitalist powers, religious fanatics and/or reactionary nationalists.

I would reword this: There is nothing to be gained by leftists applauding [or hissing] X.

Nation Y will, or won't, become a major power quite independently of any hisses or cheers from the sidelines.

And however many major powers there are sloshing around, each of us has to fight the power (major or minor) of the nation in which we reside. The number of powers is simply part of the terrain, not a result of anything we do or don't do.

Carrol