Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Aspect ofIndia'sEconReport:TheRealStateofIndia'sEconomy

Doug Stokes dws at aber.ac.uk
Tue Apr 20 10:39:36 PDT 2004

------------------------------ Ah, but for many leftists, the U.S. is the focus of evil in the modern world. (I'd mention Carrol, but I don't want it to seem as if I'm picking on him, since he is a venerable senior citizen, and therefore deserving of respect.) I think one reason many leftists can't stop bashing Hardt & Negri is that they tried to rethink the imperial system as a more collegial, dispersed, decentered structure (though now they're curiously appealing to the non-U.S. elements to demand a Magna Carta). You can't very well say "Empire out of Everywhere!" if Empire is more or less everywhere.

But presumably the empire is centereed insofar as the US is the pre-eminent imperial state, under whose 'informal empire' other leading capitalist powers huddle. Isn't this most clearly illustrated by the US's ongoing policing of a number of states and social forces that may threaten neo-liberal globalisation? Can one imagine other leading cap powers doing this? The increasing transnationalisation of capital still must rely upon state forms, and a US-centered imperial state to underwrite global order.

D S.