[lbo-talk] Aspect ofIndia'sEconReport:TheRealStateofIndia'sEconomy

Grant Lee grantlee at iinet.net.au
Wed Apr 21 02:14:52 PDT 2004

DRR said:

> I'm talking about the geopolitical entities of the EU and East Asia, not
> ordinary Europeans and Asians. What's the evidence that the EU and East
> Asia are treating their semiperipheries the way the US has treated Latin
> America? Where are the death squads, the demolitions of democracies, the
> napalm raids, and the petro-fundamentalist wars?

How many examples do you want? The UK is part of the EU. French imperialism --- both in the form of "overseas depts" and military deployments to ex-French and ex-Belgian colonies --- didn't end with Algeria and has arguably always been been worse than the US in Africa, to this day. (See also my last post on Schroder & Fischer's efforts in Africa.)

East Asia is so big that there is no shortage of examples: Indonesia, where the Javanese elite has fought tooth and nail to retain and expand the legacies of Dutch colonialism? (East Timor, Aceh, West Papua, etc.) The militaro-capitalist regime in Burma? (An ASEAN member.) China in Tibet?

The US is the alpha male for the moment but it's ageing, overcommitted and its internal organs are increasingly diseased and at war with each other. In time, the Europeans and the East Asians will become assertive, assuming of course that they are able to manage their "internal" contradictions and conflicts sufficiently.

Grant.