[lbo-talk] New Yorkers

snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Apr 21 16:30:47 PDT 2004

>>And why is that? Are the nonwhite and foreign born any less New Yorkers
>>than I am because I'm a white native? Why isolate the opinions of white
>>native-borns for comparison? There were claims made about how "human
>>nature" behaves under attack, and I think they're piffle.
>>
>>Doug

Oh, come on. What about the Black support for democrats! It's time to ask about black support for Democrats. If Blacks are the go to peeps for opinions about war, then surely they're the go to peeps about correct opinion about questions like Kerry or Nader! Damn it Doug, you lost a great opportunity there! :)

>At 06:17 PM 4/21/2004, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>My hypothesis is that Blacks, the foreign born, and native-born Americans
>who have foreign-born parents were on the average much less in favor of
>bombing Afghanistan in irrational response to the 9/11 terrorists, none of
>whom was an Afghan, than native-born whites who have lost all subjective
>bonds with their ancestral lands a long time ago. If a pollster compared
>native-born white opinions in New York City and the heartland, it is
>possible that there was little geographic difference. I recommend
>quotation marks around "we" in "We New Yorkers" pending further research.

I recommend you take your face out of that bucket of gasoline every so often. You will find that this isn't so simple. For instance, when looking at support for war, when they ran analyses on variables as "predictors" of support for war, the most reliable was PARTY affiliation. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0303070308mar07,1,1986721.story

also, if you want to talk about how population %, 55% of blacks live in the south. Of major metropolitan areas, Blacks are represented in far higher percentages in 8 southern cities. Only 2 are northern:

Gary, Ind. 84.0% Detroit, Mich. 81.6 Birmingham, Ala. 73.5 Jackson, Miss. 70.6 New Orleans, La. 67.3 Baltimore, Md. 64.3 Atlanta, Ga. 61.4 Memphis, Tenn. 61.4 Washington, DC 60.0 Richmond, Va. 57.2

And yet, strangely, the South is a bigger supporter of war, even when blacks make up half the population, not 27%! This is not to say that southern blacks support war at the same rates as southern whites, but it we have to ask if it's safe to advance your proposition.

This is not to say that people of color aren't more likely to be opposed to war. Rather, it is to point out that, as the article above argues, that wouldn't be the whole story and it may well be a spurious correlation WRT attitudes toward Iraq war. I'm going to trust Gallup's ability to run regression analysis and place their findings in the context of a larger body of research and theory.

Also notice that among Latinos, support for war goes up with acculturation in the US. It doesn't take generations to sep. people from the "roots," it takes mere years.

Kelley