[lbo-talk] New Yorkers

John Thornton jthorn65 at mchsi.com
Wed Apr 21 17:49:29 PDT 2004

>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>>The hypothesis is that white New Yorkers may have more in common with
>>white Middle Americans than with Black New Yorkers
>
>So? I'm not even sure how true it is, since many of us white New Yorkers
>live here precisely because we don't have a lot in common with "white
>Middle Americans." (And there are many kinds of white Middle Americans -
>they're not all bellicose racists. Maybe you've met a few.) But it's not
>really relevant to the discussion anyway, which is about how people react
>when they're under physical attack.
>
>Doug

The only data I found was for three cities. NY, Cincinnati, and Phoenix. The percentages of people who support Bush in the war in Iraq did not vary by more than a few percent. Since the questions may have been worded quite differently from one survey to the other (I didn't find the original surveys) this doesn't tell me very much. I am surprised that this data would be so difficult to find. If I do find any I'll post it to this list tomorrow as this makes three for me today. I still haven't heard from Chuck about any perceived differences between KC and DC in regards to support for the war in Iraq. As a side issue, don't most people live where they live simply because they were either born there or have family ties to an area? I don't live in NYC (where I was born) because we live near my wifes family. I think that's fairly typical. I sure as hell didn't move to MO for any other reason.

John Thornton