[lbo-talk] Pew study of poll accuracy & Cries for revenge from the heartland?

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Wed Apr 21 18:31:59 PDT 2004

On Wednesday, April 21, 2004, at 04:00 PM, John Thornton wrote:

> Last time I checked disasters like major floods and tornados pretty
> regularly hit the midwest. Far more often than NYC so I don't think
> New Yorkers are somehow more likely to take disasters per se as SOP in
> their lives as some have claimed. Any actual evidence New Yorkers took
> the 9/11 attacks any "better" than the rest of the country or the
> midwest in particular?

We have to make a distinction between natural disasters, which are indeed common in the Midwest (I'm a refugee from the Midwest to the Right Coast myself), and disasters due to folks driving planes into skyscrapers. Buildings destroyed by wind or floods are one thing; ones destroyed by deliberate human action are something else.

As for the Furuhashi Hypothesis

[ On Wednesday, April 21, 2004, at 07:07 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> The hypothesis is that white New Yorkers may have more in common with
> white Middle Americans than with Black New Yorkers, foreign-born New
> Yorkers (like Masuda Sultan, an Afghan-born New Yorker featured in the
> documentary _Afghanistan: From Ground Zero to Ground Zero_
> <http://tv.oneworld.net/tapestry?story=358>), and native-born New
> Yorkers with foreign-born parents.

],

I don't know New Yorkers, white or non-white, very intimately, but if they are at all like Philadelphians, or Fluffians as they prefer to be called, they are certainly not politically homogeneous, and I think it is frankly rather racist to assume that they are. In Northeast Philly and, less so, in South Philly, they tend toward the right, but in Center City, West Philly, Germantown, Mount Airy, etc., they tend to list far enough to the left that they nearly fall over. And even that is an over-generalization.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A sympathetic Scot summed it all up very neatly in the remark, 'You should make a point of trying every experience once, excepting incest and folk-dancing.' -- Sir Arnold Bax