[lbo-talk] New Yorkers

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Apr 21 18:38:47 PDT 2004

>>The hypothesis is that white New Yorkers may have more in common
>>with white Middle Americans than with Black New Yorkers,
>>foreign-born New Yorkers and native-born New Yorkers with
>>foreign-born parents.
>
>No doubt this is true in some ways. But as someone doing political
>organizing in New York, I would say that (1) there's much less truth
>to it than someone without that experience might imagine and (2) it
>strikes me as quite unhelpful politically. I can't imagine an
>organizing context in which I'd want to make this argument. Can you?
>
>Josh

In any organizing context, white lefty New Yorkers like Doug looking down on white Middle Americans is probably unhelpful. It is politically suicidal for white lefty New Yorkers who wish to elect Kerry to flaunt East Coast snobbery -- remember, almost all battleground states are in Middle America -- like where I'm at. However, if Kerry supporters want to commit political suicide and quit being a spoiler for Ralph Nader, be my guest. :-) -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>