[lbo-talk] New Yorkers

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Apr 22 07:22:57 PDT 2004

JW Mason wrote:

>From: "Yoshie Furuhashi" <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>
>
>> The hypothesis is that white New Yorkers may have more in common with
>> white Middle Americans than with Black New Yorkers, foreign-born New
>> Yorkers and native-born New Yorkers with foreign-born parents.
>
>No doubt this is true in some ways. But as someone doing political
>organizing in New York, I would say that (1) there's much less truth to it
>than someone without that experience might imagine and (2) it strikes me as
>quite unhelpful politically. I can't imagine an organizing context in which
>I'd want to make this argument. Can you?

It sounds as if Yoshie has some kind of weirdly inverted version of a white nativist's view of the "real America," in which the white native-born are the rule and the nonwhite, non-native born (and quirky white natives) are the exception. But she likes the exception, and the nativist prefers the rule. Both are neither accurate nor helpful.

Doug