[lbo-talk] Aspect ofIndia'sEconReport:TheRealStateofIndia'sEconomy

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Thu Apr 22 09:09:33 PDT 2004

Alexandre Fenelon wrote:

East Asia's
>,being too dependent on one economic partner is
double
> edge sword, as this partner have enough leverage to influence in your
> internal
> policies

Perhaps they can now balance their ties with the US with those with China.

> I wonder if they aren´t starting to pay the price for
> their alliance with the USA.

If NK has acquired nukes, Japan and SK would continue to require the US nuclear umbrella. They can't really be independent of the US without having their own nukes. (Btw, according to a newspaper article, Japan's ambassador to India has recently proposed Japan/China/India axis. There is also a Primakov proposal for Russia/China/India axis. What this would mean in practical terms is not very clear at all. But it is obvious that people are scared by US unilateralism.)

> -For the role of USA in the development of SK and Taiwan, there is a very
> good
> article here
> http://www.rrojasdatabank.org/korea0.htm

It's an interesting article; it's amazing: South Korean gross domestic savings were only 1% of the GDP between 1960-70 !!

Ulhas