[lbo-talk] Black Commentator on the "no difference crowd"

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Thu Apr 22 15:01:17 PDT 2004

Doug Henwood quoted:

><http://www.blackcommentator.com/87/87_cover_kerry.html>
>
>Readers may be surprised to learn that we are not overly concerned
>about Kerry's vague promise to send even more troops to Iraq. Kerry
>is no more capable than Bush of sustaining the doomed U.S.
>occupation. The Iraqi people will shape their own future,
>independent of the American electorate, who have no right to a say
>in the matter. However, Americans do have it in their power to
>disconnect the Pirates from the reins of power in Washington. That
>would make a world of difference.

Direct action will get the goods for the people of Iraq, it can work for the people of the US too. However, if Americans can't defend themselves from Bush, an incompetent moron, then they won't be able to defend themselves from Kerry either.

It is entirely clear that they will have to fight to defend themselves from Bush, whereas this article clearly implies that there is an ingrained belief they won't have to fight so hard to defend themselves against Kerry. So yes, there is a difference.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas