[lbo-talk] men·da·cious /adj./ 3. See Rumsfiled, Donald H.

snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Apr 23 11:11:41 PDT 2004

RUMSFELD ON FOIA

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld yesterday recalled that "as a young member of Congress back in the 1960s, still in my 30s, I was a co-sponsor of the Freedom of Information Act."

"Now we all recognize that that Act causes government officials occasional pain," Rumsfeld said in a speech to the Newspaper Association of America and the American Society of Newspaper Editors, "but in my view, it has been a valuable Act in helping to get the facts to the American people."

"Our great political system needs information to be self-correcting. While excesses and imbalances will inevitably exist for a time, fortunately they tend not to last."

"Ultimately truth prevails," Secretary Rumsfeld said. See:

http://www.fas.org/sgp/news/2004/04/dod042204.html