[lbo-talk] Re" new york

robert mast mastrob at comcast.net
Fri Apr 23 14:30:39 PDT 2004

Michael Yates wrote:

"As far as small towns, in the "heartland" and elsewhere, I grew up in one. I only go back now to see my family. As others have said, opinions are more diverse than might be imagined in such places. But in my opinion, in the absence of a vibrant labor movement, a lot of backward ideas inevitably take root as people, in their social isolation, have little of any progressive traditions to draw upon."

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Michael and I grew up in the same home town, though we never met (except recently on the internet). Like him, I lived in various places, big and small. I've found there to be little overall difference in ideas on the big issues among Caucasians from place to place. One can always find open pockets of progressives among those who've been more exposed to progressives ideas and also are part of a network. They're the ones who march at the time of war, join civil rights and other movements, and may be open to anti-capitalist ideas. They're more literate and verbal, and likely more affluent. My question is, Are there proportionately more such people in New York's 8 million+ population, compared to other outside-the-South large urban populations? And if so, so what?

I believe Michael is correct that the antidote to backward ideas is a "vibrant labor movement." Work is still the most common denominator in the U. S. population, across all demographic segments, in all locations. The workplace, or occupational category, remains the most central and potential organizing point of all. This includes the sluggish union movement (both NLRB and non-NLRB efforts), potential workers' parties, and labor-community initiatives. Would that there was more discussion on this topic.

Bob Mast -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20040423/8c9f4f79/attachment.htm>