[lbo-talk] Lockdown NYC

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Fri Apr 23 20:20:55 PDT 2004

Bill Bartlett wrote:

> An oversimplification based on a lack of comprehension that there is a
> difference between direct action and public demonstration. It also
> indicates a complete misunderstanding of the difference between strategy
> and tactics.

Nope.

> There is no need to go to the trouble. But it would be sensible to
> assume they already have the lists and adopt a strategy which takes this
> into account. Only trouble is, you don't even know the meaning of
> 'strategy".

You are not in the position to criticize, since you don't know any of the activists involved and live in another hemisphere. How can you criticize our strategy if you DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS?

> You mean implement your tactics. What you do at the public demonstration
> is at the tactical level. You don't have any conscious strategy, except
> secrecy which (even if you knew it was strategic) is the wrong strategy.

Uh, no, the tactics we implement is part of a bigger strategy. You just don't go onto the streets and engage in tactics. Tactics are implemented according to an overall strategy.

> If you are undermining the strategy of the main body of protestors, it
> makes sense for them to try to stop you. However if their strategy is
> non-violence, then beating you up would obviously be a lousy tactic,
> since it also undermines their strategy. They need to have some plan to
> counter provocateurs though. Whether those provocateurs are paid agents
> of the state, or wild-eyed grand-standers.

Are you one of those liberal peace nazis? This paragraph sounds like it was copied verbatim from the arguments they use.

> Getting the cops to beat you up wouldn't work, the trouble is with this
> is that it would probably come across publicly that you deserve it. The
> strategic object of non-violent dissent is to make it more difficult for
> the cops to take advantage of their overwhelming superiority of force.
> What the organisers need to do is try to non-violently defend you from
> the cops, while also non-violently preventing you (not to mention the
> usual paid agent provocateurs, which you seem intent on making
> redundant) from rampaging about the place giving the cops an excuse to
> beat you (and other protestors) up.

That's right, blame the victim for the police violence they so richly deserve.

> A secret public demonstration. Wrong strategy.

Successful direct actions usually have a secret component.

Chuck0