[lbo-talk] Redeeming features of Japanese culture

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Fri Apr 23 20:20:58 PDT 2004

Bill Bartlet writes:

"Are there any redeeming features whatsoever of Japanese culture? Nothing comes to mind."

I feel as heartsick as you about the welcome given to the Japanese hostages. I am also actually surprised that no one has said anything to commend the Iraqis for releasing them. But to answer your question off the top of my head and from relative ignorance about Japanese culture: Hokusai, Zen, and an extraordinary aesthetic sense do come to mind.

Brad Mayer may be able to contribute more as he has been studying Japanese, Japanese history, and Japanese culture for the last few years.

Yoshie?

Joanna