[lbo-talk] US Elections 2004, Etc.

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Apr 23 20:31:53 PDT 2004

>[lbo-talk] New Yorkers: Self-Defeating Snobbery
>JW Mason j.w.mason at earthlink.net, Thu Apr 22 11:26:45 PDT 2004
<snip>
>From: "Yoshie Furuhashi" <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>
>
>>I'm still convinced that Bush is a loser, and the race appears to
>>be as close as I want it to be
<snip>
>Look, we all agree that (1) Kerry and the Democrats don't represent
>and won't advance "our" program, in any of the variations
>represented on this list, but (2) since presidential elections are
>most Americans' main point of engagement with politics, we need to
>participate in some way. (This is at least as much a premise for
>supporting Nader or some other third-party candidate, as for
>supporting Kerry.)
<snip>
>If you're on the left and you're involved in electoral politics,
>your goal can't be only or even mainly to affect the outcome,
>especially at the presidential level.

I agree with you on these two points, though we come on the opposite sides on the Nader vs. Kerry question.

Friday, April 23, 2004 US Elections 2004 Of course, it is best if Ralph Nader, receiving the Green Party endorsement and getting on the ballots in all states, wins the presidential election outright, but short of such a miracle, what would be beneficial for anti-occupation and other social movements? Here's a short list . . .

The rest is at <http://montages.blogspot.com/2004_04_01_montages_archive.html#108277178445856639>.

>[lbo-talk] JCP: the Largest Communist Party in the Developed
>Capitalist Countries
>Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu, Fri Apr 23 11:29:45 PDT 2004
<snip>
>What does the Communist in JCP mean? Would we recognize it as
>communist or left social democratic?

Left social democratic, naturally. It has never been communist since WW2, in fact.

>[lbo-talk] For Japanese Hostages, Release Only Adds to Stress
>Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au, Fri Apr 23 17:25:29 PDT 2004
<snip>
>>http://query.nytimes.com/mem/tnt.html?tntget=2004/04/22/international/asia/22CND-JAPAN.html&tntemail0
<snip>
>>Pursuing individual goals by defying the government and causing
>>trouble forJapan was simply unforgivable. So the single government
>>official to praise them was, not surprisingly, an American one.
>
>Well, I suppose at least Japanese society makes American society look free.

Indeed, but it is also the same Japanese "culture" that makes Japanese capitalists less free to act than US capitalists. If the USA suffered from a crisis of deflation similar to Japan, it would have a far more devastating impact on US workers than the crisis has had on Japanese workers.

>[lbo-talk] Re: new york
>MICHAEL YATES mikedjyates at msn.com, Fri Apr 23 13:12:20 PDT 2004
<snip>
>As far as small towns, in the "heartland" and elsewhere, I grew up
>in one. I only go back now to see my family.

>[lbo-talk] new york
>John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net, Fri Apr 23 15:42:22 PDT 2004
<snip>
>robert mast writes:
>>Michael [Yates] and I grew up in the same home town
>
>Meadville, represent!
>So far as I know I am the only person on the list from DuBois.

>[lbo-talk] new york
>Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu, Fri Apr 23 15:54:20 PDT 2004
<snip>
>New Castle, PA. In high school, we counted the days till our
>release from the area.

***** "Labour Mobility" Oxford Encyclopedia of Economic History Jason Long (Colby College) & Joseph Ferrie (Northwestern University)

Labour mobility consists of changes in the location of workers both across physical space (geographic mobility) and across a set of jobs (occupational mobility). Geographic mobility can be further subdivided into short-distance and long-distance moves, as well as into voluntary and coerced migration. Occupational mobility can be lateral (within a broad class of jobs similar in socioeconomic status) or vertical (from one job to a better or worse job). The availability of large, nationally-representative longitudinal surveys in the late twentieth century has made it possible to measure the extent of mobility in all these dimensions, and how they are related, in several developed economies. Our understanding of the extent of labour mobility through history has been enhanced by work conducted since the 1970s in which the careers of individual workers are reconstructed by locating them in censuses and census-like enumerations (city directories, tax lists, population registers) at successive dates.

At the aggregate level, labour mobility conveys important economic benefits. The reallocation of workers across regions permits the exploitation of complementary resources as they are discovered in new places, while reallocation across sectors makes possible the use of new technologies and the growth of new industries. At the individual level, mobility allows for improvements in the economic circumstances of those whose skills or aspirations are a poor match for the job or location in which they find themselves.

The impact of labour mobility extends well beyond these economic considerations, however. The ability of fluid U.S. labour markets to deter labour radicalization has been recognized by Karl Marx, Selig Perlman, and Stephan Thernstrom. Since the work of Frederick Jackson Turner more than a century ago, scholars have debated the role of the frontier in forging a particularly American political economy in the U.S. Sociologists have examined the impact of mobility on the operation of communities and interpersonal relationships, and political scientists have considered how mobility effects political participation and coalition formation. . . .

<http://faculty.econ.northwestern.edu/faculty/ferrie/papers/Labour%20Mobility.pdf> ***** -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>