[lbo-talk] Morning After Pill action at Sunday's march

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Sat Apr 24 07:34:11 PDT 2004

I think I've posted Morning After Pill campaign materials here before, for anyone going to the "March for Women's Lives" in DC on Sunday, join us at this speakout and action. (We also have a speaker on the main stage but she's getting, you know, 2 minutes.) The FDA says they will decide about over-the-counter status by May 21 so now's the time to put pressure on.

Jenny Brown

***

Join feminist activists from the Morning-After Pill Conspiracy as we break

the law to make the Morning-After Pill Over-The-Counter at the March for

Women's Lives Sunday in DC!

WHEN/WHERE: 11:30am on the Mall, at Jefferson & 12th St SW.

IF YOU ARE MEETING PEOPLE AT THE MARCH, TELL THEM TO MEET YOU AT THIS

LOCATION!

WHAT/WHY: Join us on Sunday as we defy the prescription requirement by

illegally distributing the Morning-After Pill. (Also, during this action, Dr.

Linda Prine and other medical practitioners will hand out Morning-After Pill

prescriptions to any woman who wants one.)

Winning MAP over-the-counter is a way for the feminist movement in the US to

be on the offensive, to win something at a time when it seems like all we

are constantly fighting all the rollbacks on our rights. Besides condoms,

no other form of birth control has ever been available at a drug store to

just pick up when we need it, much less a birth control method that you can

use AFTER sex. The Food and Drug Administration has unjustly delayed ruling

on over-the-counter status for the Morning-After Pill in an attempt to

prevent women from having access to this safe, effective form of birth

control.

The FDA is supposed to make a decision by May 21st - we have to act fast to

show that women won't stand for anything less than over-the-counter access!

WHO: The Morning-After Pill Conspiracy, which includes:

Over 600 women have signed the pledge to "Give a Friend the Morning-After

Pill" any time she needs it, the following organizations:

NOW NY State Reproductive Rights Task Force

Gainesville (Fla.) Area NOW

University of Florida Campus NOW

Redstockings Allies and Veterans

Gainesville (Fla.) Women's Liberation

Florida NOW Young Feminist Task Force

For more information on this action, please contact:

MAPconspiracy.org

MAPConspiracy04 at hotmail.com

Florida:

Stephanie Seguin, Gainesville Area NOW, Gainesville Women's Liberation

Phone: (352) 380-9934 Cell: (352) 281-7454

New York:

Erin Mahoney, NOW - NY State Reproductive Rights Task Force

Phone: (212) 216-1841 Cell: (917) 842-5306